Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 14 - Nonfiction book

Nonfiction is definitely not my style. It's Josh's. I read non-fiction when it's assigned in school. I struggled to come up with a book that I've read and/or enjoyed that is nonfiction. One time when I worked at a non-profit organization, I borrowed the book The Rape of Nanking. It's a gruesome book, but it was an interesting one. It's the story of the Japanese invasion of a Chinese city, Nanking. It was interesting to see war from a non-American point of view. I was fascinated the whole way through, but I didn't have the heart to look at the few black and white pictures stuck in the middle of the novel. I wouldn't recommend it as a light read, it's definitely one of the most realistically gruesome (duh, it's nonfiction) books I've ever read.





The second book that came to mind as I started typing that I don't read non-fiction unless it's prescribed by school, is The Culprit and the Cure. It's a non-fiction book written by a former BYU professor, and it's all about nutrition. It reads more like an interesting, easy read, but my awesome Chronic Disease professor uses it for the textbook in our class. If you really want to learn some really good things about exercise and nutrition, read this book. It pretty much has everything you'd ever need to know about living a healthy life. It's surprisingly cheap (see:Amazon) and if you buy it and don't like it/find it interesting/useful, I'll buy it from you. Seriously. I love this book.

And that, my friends, sums up my experience with non-fiction. It's interesting, but I much prefer the bright, flashy covers of the teenaged fiction (read: magical) world.

1 comment:

NatAttack said...

Boo non fiction. WHAT on earth is tomorrow's?